Hello, techno-enthusiasts, artists, and futurists! In just a few days, I’ll be heading to the Future in Review (FiRe) conference, an experience I’ve been lucky to be part of for over a decade.
If you aren’t already on board with this annual extravaganza, let me tell you—FiRe is not just another tech conference; it’s a deep dive into what lies ahead. So, let’s set the stage for what promises to be an unforgettable experience, taking place November 6-9 at the gorgeous Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes.
FIYAH Starter: Unveiling The Event’s Core
Before you tag along on this journey, let’s talk about what FiRe is all about. It’s an intimate congregation—spawned from the brilliant minds behind the Strategic News Service—that blends high-stakes futurism with actionable insights.
The conference gathers global leaders across diverse disciplines: AI, climate tech, healthcare, and the metaverse to name a few. Whether you’re an investor, an entrepreneur, or simply an inquisitive mind, FiRe offers you a roadmap to navigate the next 5-10 years.
FiRe & Me: A Decade-Long Symbiosis
This isn’t just a conference for me; it’s a part of my identity. For nearly 11 years, I’ve been working closely with luminaries like Mark Anderson, Berit Anderson, Evan Anderson, Sally Anderson, and Sharon Anderson Morris.
In essence, they’ve become part of my extended family. And over these years, my role has evolved far beyond that of a mere attendee—I’ve been the person behind the podcast, the video blog, the community content, and various other creative layers that add texture to this event.
So, What’s Cooking This Year?
Expect to meet some 200 of the world’s most avant-garde thinkers and doers, shaping the future of technology and the global economy.
And yes, we share an incredible rapport with Pattern Computer—a company founded at Future in Review as a result of the CTO Challenge on Quantum Computing. So, rest assured, you’re going to hear perspectives that are not just innovative but deeply insightful.
The Future in Frames: Photographing FiRe Through My Lenses
What truly invigorates me about FiRe is its ability to create moments—moments that beg to be framed. As a photographer, I don’t ‘capture’ these moments; I reveal them, uncovering artworks embedded in real-time. It’s not just about the click of a camera but the connection it fosters.
My photography at FiRe aims to reflect the emotional depth over mere technical brilliance, creating a vivid tapestry of the event that lasts long after the curtains close.
Amplifying Voices: The FiRe Podcast and Community Engagement
As the person behind FiRe’s podcast, each episode is a window into the minds of global leaders—discussing everything from AI ethics to healthcare innovations.
With over 60 episodes in our arsenal, each podcast episode is an avenue for open, transparent dialogues—a principle I hold close to my heart.
Why I’ve Fallen in Love with FiRe
There are so many reasons I return to FiRe each year, including:
- The People: FiRe attracts around 200 carefully curated attendees ranging from global business executives to cutting-edge researchers. I always leave with new connections and friends.
- The Ideas: With topics spanning AI, quantum computing, climate change, security, and more, I know I’ll gain insights to fuel my creative projects for year to come.
- The Culture: There’s a real spirit of openness and trust at FiRe that enables both structured programming and impromptu connections.
What I’m Most Looking Forward to in 2023
This year’s programming has me especially excited. Here are some of the sessions I’m most looking forward to:
- The Future of Synthetic Media: As a photographer fascinated by the creative possibilities of AI, I’m eager to dive into discussions around innovations like generative art and deepfakes. I hope to gain perspective on how synthetic media could impact society, both positively and negatively.
- Finance, Global Power & Corruption: I’m intrigued by Vicky Ward’s session delving into the world of the ultra-rich and powerful. As an investigative journalist, she’ll provide insight into how power dynamics shape the landscape of technology and business.
- Investing in Climate Solutions: With climate change an imminent threat, I’m inspired to learn about emerging companies developing innovative green technologies. I aim to discover new ideas to support through my community engagement and social media channels.
My Goals for FiRe 2023
In addition to documenting the event and soaking up and sharing new knowledge and ideas, I have a few personal goals for this year’s FiRe:
- Add My Creative Magic: I intend to capture the energy and community of FiRe through my photography and social media storytelling. My aim is to contribute my artistic perspective to this gathering of innovative minds.
- Share FiRe Highlights on Social: I’ll be covering FiRe on my Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and TikTok accounts through photos, podcast clips, interviews, and more. Follow along to join the experience!
- Forge New Connections: FiRe is the perfect place to build meaningful relationships with people whose work inspires you. I can’t wait to connect with creators and entrepreneurs who share my values.
Wrapping it Up: On the Brink of the Future
I’ll be there, soaking in every moment, every conversation, and sharing it all with you through my lenses and words. So, are you ready to ignore the noise, see the turn, and chart a course for the future? Let’s explore the opportunities that FiRe 2023 has in store for us, shall we?